Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Savage Live - Yes or No?

3 posters

Go down

Savage Live - Yes or No? Empty Savage Live - Yes or No?

Post by Crashday Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:23 pm

Hey guys!
I don't know if you already heard about the Newerth dev's newest plan. They plan to create a new game called Savage Live. After reading through that topic on Newerth it seems to me that Savage Live is a mix of 3 different games: Savage XR, Savage 2 and Heroes of Newerth. As far as I know, they plan that you'll be able to use any weapon with any unit. Certain units are better with certain weapons and items but it is possible to build combinations of unit+weapons+items that allow to be used for specific battle situations.

Imo Savage Live is a nice idea, since Savage XR is more or less finished, it's time for something new right? Still, I'm a bit worried that if Savage Live is successful it will probably take away a lot players from Savage XR. Since they were working on Savage XR for the last 6 years it would be a pity if Savage XR loses attention. Anyways, Savage Live isn't even close to be finished, and now it's not really the time to worry at all. Tirza's Savage XR Trailer as well as the new savagexr.com website will attract a lot of new players to Savage XR. I'm sure there will be much more activity around Newerth in the near future.

Let me know what you think about Savage Live!
Crashday
Crashday

http://bitcrusher92.hostoi.com

Back to top Go down

Savage Live - Yes or No? Empty Re: Savage Live - Yes or No?

Post by TNaismith Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:12 am

I read the announcement following the link from the "Savage's 10th Anniversary" post, and when I saw what Daemon had written below as the opening devblog for Savage Live, I was really overwhelmed with joy!

One rather minor change is the introduction of a new unit per race. No, not the Glider and Mech Smile. The equivalent of a Builder or Engineer, or call it Smith, if you want. These Labourers would possess increased work efficiency (mining, building, repairing) and an ability to carry and deploy more static devices like Land Mines or Sensors (compared to the other units). This is unit is dedicated to Phoe and all the newbies all around the world!
Savage Live vs Savage Rebirth drama and arguments I certainly can imagine will appear but both are still strong projects with passionate leaders and teams behind 'em, far as I can tell. Definitely feel like checking up on Newerth more often to see how the Savage Live does over the next few weeks/months after this announcement.

After that, who knows. I prefer to see community projects like this do well at the end of several months/years once the 'First step into public' hype is over. Looking forward to finally playing a role in Savage that is more in tune with the Phoe-like support role and mining/repairing/mines/sensor/other support kind of things I'm into!

Savage Live - Yes or No? Announcement_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_1_sm Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_2_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_3_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_4_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_5_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_6_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_7_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_8_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_9_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_10_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_11_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_12_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_13_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Units_show_14_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_1_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_2_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_3_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_4_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_5_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Stuff_show_6_sm

-------------------------------

Savage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp1_sm Savage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp2_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp3_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp4_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp5_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp6_sm

Savage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp7_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp8_smSavage Live - Yes or No? Duel_temp9_sm

Welcome to the 1st SL DevBlog post! Although a dedicated section harboring all sorts of information will soon be created, I will take this opportunity to go through the major features of SL and the changes it will contain in relation to Savage XR.

SL will run using the Unity3D engine, a professional, high-tech engine featuring all the advancements in game graphics technologies and an incredibly clever editing environment. Unity3D is a multiplatform available for PC, Mac and Linux, mobile devices and consoles, and it is constantly and continuously improved and enhanced by is developers, taking a huge work load off the shoulders of game designers, who don't have to write their own render engines from scratch.

Contributing to the AAA visual fidelity of Unity3D, some of its highlights are: fast and smooth rendering performance, precision control over lighting, dynamic shadows, special audio and visual effects, particle generators, material manipulation with procedural textures, integrated terrain and atmospheric editor, built-in pathfinding AI, ragdoll physics, retargetable animations, precomputed occlusion culling, smart LOD support, cross-platform scripting, WYSIWYG prototyping, social network integration, GLSL optimizations with mobile shaders support. Who knows, maybe we'll get to play Savage on a mobile, after all! In addition to the game client, Unity3D will allow SL to run with a web player, so that you will be able to play the game right inside your browser.

SL will carry over the gameplay from Savage XR. The major features remain unchanged: commanders, economy based on workers, 3 tier bases and tech, units and tech research, building construction, human shield tower, upgradable towers, block vs. leap, networked respawn points and all the rest. However, based on the comparative analysis we've made, a number of changes will occur.

One rather minor change is the introduction of a new unit per race. No, not the Glider and Mech Smile. The equivalent of a Builder or Engineer, or call it Smith, if you want. These Labourers would possess increased work efficiency (mining, building, repairing) and an ability to carry and deploy more static devices like Land Mines or Sensors (compared to the other units). This is unit is dedicated to Phoe and all the newbies all around the world!

By far the most important one is the way loadout works. First of all, we're going to use a weight-based items/weapons system. This will allow cross-class inventory items usage, without allowing uber-combos. The concept is pretty simple: the larger the unit, the more weight it can carry. The heavier the items and/or weapons, the greater their impact. Alternatively, units could carry larger numbers of a item type, instead of heavier items, or mix the 2 aspects as the situation requires. Basically any humanoid unit (human siege is momentarily excluded) will be able to equip pretty much anything, but strictly influenced by its particular attributes/stats (mana, attack speed, movement speed, weight, health and stamina, tech line affiliation). The units will be biased towards certain tech lines, with the purpose of isolating designated roles for each of them. In order to get the most bang for the buck, units would have to equip the items and weapons of their particular tech line. Hypothetical example: a Nomad would be carrying a quiver (an arrow holder), which allows him to carry the arrows of the Archery weapons, effectively halving the weight any such weapon would deduct from his AvailableWeight.

As far as magic is concerned, for instance, a Legionnaire will be able to equip the Revive spell, but because his MaxMana and ManaRegeneration amounts would be very low, if he's lucky, he may be able to use it once per spawn. Whereas a Chaplain equipping Revive would be able to use it once every 20 seconds. Conversely, instead of the 15 Healing Potions he could carry, he may decide to equip 2 Immobilizers instead. Perhaps a Nomad would end up not even having a Max Mana high enough to cast the Revive spell at all! Spells, unlike magic items, are not stackable and will take up an inventory slot regardless of how proficient a unit is at casting it.

As a consequence of the new weapons interoperability, melee weapons, for both beasts and humans, featuring distinct appearances (unlike Savage 1 beast melee weapons) and they would be usable by any units (unlike Savage 1 human melee weapons). Individual units' bonuses and restrictions aside, they would carry over the animations and damage to any unit using them. This means we're going to see Scavengers with huge Predator Claws-like blades or Legos with hatchets. Not the best combos, obviously, but they offer increased flexibility in order to respond in various predicaments, as the situations arise.

Although this is not decided yet, Experience and Levels are going to work a little differently from how they currently do in Savage XR. Along with every increase in levels, units receive improvements of their stats, according to a table designed to facilitate them the fulfillment of specific roles, like scouting, tanking etc., which the units are designed for. But on top of that, players will receive a bonus to the stats associated with their most often performed activity. This way, workers will become better workers, fighters better at fighting and magic users, well, you get my point. But without neglecting the rest of the stats.

A new concept of tech trees, branching and linearity will be devised, aimed at conserving every tier's tech usefulness all throughout the game, albeit in various amounts. The tiers 1 - 2 - 3 progression's impact will be diminished. Savage 1 is unfolding in a predictable and restrictive way: you get the free Nomads then you research tier 2 to get Savages which turn Nomads useless and then you rush for tier 3's Legos which turn Savages useless. Even though there still are some exploitable niche traits, the tier 1 and 2 units aren't going to be seen around the battlefield unless in dire need of gold, most often at the very final moments of a game being lost. This turns the most part of any game into a Pred vs Lego skirmish, while making it very hard for any newbies to be useful in any way, or get a chance to learn anything since everybody else is already good at that one single thing going on, the Pred vs. Lego game.

Weapons and units will be designed in such a way that the different tiers do not turn the previous tiers obsolete, allowing for non-linear tech research decisions which keep tech lines still useful outside tier constraints. This translates into a new way of differentiating units from each other based on tech line affinity, primary goal and the required skill vs. effectiveness ratio.
Here are units screenshots on some pre-made maps accompanying the environment sets we got. And then the Arena map which i've made in 1 day, with no previous knowledge of how to. But we'll get pro mappers, don't worry Smile.

TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Avatar Mon 16 Sep 2013, 3:36 am

Looks too good Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down