Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New futuristic game engine called euclideon!

5 posters

Go down

New futuristic game engine called euclideon! Empty New futuristic game engine called euclideon!

Post by Crashday Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

Hey Guys!

I want to share this link with you: http://www.euclideon.com/

They are programming a new futuristic game engine which doesn't work with Polygon Shapes in 3D models. They use atoms instead. Like in real world!! The graphics seem to be awesome. Hopefully this will be used in games in near future. I'm already looking forward to it Very Happy

Crashday
Crashday

http://bitcrusher92.hostoi.com

Back to top Go down

New futuristic game engine called euclideon! Empty Re: New futuristic game engine called euclideon!

Post by Morgoth of Udun Sun 21 Aug 2011, 6:25 pm

Hm... interesting Smile Looks quite good, yeah, reminds me of Oblivion to be honest (so slightly outdated). But if you convert Polygons to Atoms, you won't gain any detail or texture I think...

Anyway, looking forward to games using this indeed!

EDIT: Okay, at the end of the movie, it does look really real. Very nice Very Happy
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

New futuristic game engine called euclideon! Empty Re: New futuristic game engine called euclideon!

Post by TNaismith Sun 21 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

First time I've ever heard of this 'atoms' method in 3D engines, and the first time learning about how it might potentially be connect to the future of the video-game industry. A few things that occurred to me though... if so many things can actually be 'rendered' without so-called 'lagging', will game developers actually still be able to attach 'actions' to each of these atoms for game/world/level design purposes? For example, it seems like one thing to be able to create this 'atom-built' world/level and to zoom in on details and see how realistic it looks, but I wonder if game developers will be able to actually do stuff with the atoms. Will they be able to program the game to say "If an explosion happens on dirt, have all dirt atoms affected actually move up into the air and spread about just like a real world explosion'. If the answer is yes, then will it still be non-laggy for players in the game?

However, despite these questions, I have to admit... this sounds like amazing technology and a very huge breakthrough -- this indeed could be one of the turning points in history for video-games.

On a sidenote, the way the narrator talks... some moments it feels like this is all just a practical joke or hoax, almost too good to be true indeed. However... the actual video footage does look convincing enough...

Thanks for sharing this all the same Crashday! I can only wonder how you found out about this! You must be very up-to-date with these kind of news!

TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Power Hermit Sun 21 Aug 2011, 11:57 pm

I have seen this a longer while ago - it is indeed very promising technology. I was wondering about the same thing TN, in the sense of..imagine a car made out of atoms..if you crashed another car into it, would the atoms move accordingly? It seemed like everything was static, so far. If it doesn't work, will they be forced to downgrade to an atom-polygon hybrid for passive and "active" objects?

Imagine though, that this kind of technology one could possibly recreate the world itself, or create an alternative universe via occluders, which could result in a matrix kind of thing. There are countless possibilities and I'm sure companies would kill each other over acquiring this kind of technology.
Power Hermit
Power Hermit

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:05 am

Probably fake or at least way too overrated.

Talked with biggeruniverse and a few others about that video, and a few things are pretty suspicious:

1. No animations at all. I bet they're having the same problems as with Voxel (pretty much the same technology), as it is not easy to calculate the movement of lots of Voxels/"Atoms".

2. The numbers they mention are...huge. Possibly too huge. Just imagine the number "Trillions". And now imagine the CPU power and mem you need to calculate and initialize those
"Atoms". I'm not sure as I do not know very much about that kind of stuff....but that sounds just too much.

3. That whole landscape could be a fake and pre rendered or however that's called.

4. Everything is the same. The same rocks, the same trees, the same ground etc...

All in all I'm not sure what to think about that technology...
Did they just copy Voxel, did they invent something completely new or did they just fake a nice looking video?
We'll see.
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down