Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My older game project.

3 posters

Go down

My older game project. Empty My older game project.

Post by DeoX Wed 14 Apr 2010, 3:15 am

I wanted to show you my older game project that I started to make a year ago.

The original thread:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=442346

My older game project. Newversion

Hello! I made this game for Game Maker Suomi summer -09 contest and I'd like to now share this game with GMC members.

Trapdoor Below is a rogue-like game where you step into a dungeon and try to survive against various monsters and collect items. There are over 120 different looking items available and 15 different enemies. Each level is unique thanks to randomly generated maps. This is game have taken influences from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup which is a great rogue-like game.

- Info -

Publisher: Tprojects (my "team")
Genre: Rogue-Like
Version: 1.20.3
File Size: ~17mb
GM-Version: GM8
Online Highscores: Yes
Story: "You are a great X (choose profession) who has been chosen to a mighty quest by the town's eldest. You have to release these moorlands from the grip of the evil demigod who enslaves the people of these lands. There is an underground passage which leads to the labyrinth of death where lives the most horrifying creatures of the world. Good luck. You probably need it."

Indie Games Freeware Game Pick: Trapdoor Below (Telchar) Tuesday, September 8, 2009

- Youtube video (old version) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKgrAHN1Xk

- Controls -

- move: numpad (1,2,3,6,9,8,7,4) or up, down, left, right keys
- rest/wait: hold/press numpad 5 or right control
- pick up item/go downstairs: space
- inspect: shift+left mouse click
- use: left mouse click
- drop: right mouse click

- Download -

Mirror: Download (.zip) (v. 1.20.3)

- v. 1.20.3 bug fixes -

- Updated to GM8
- When you complete the game, you should have "Survived!" in highscores.

- Screenshots -

My older game project. Screenshot1
My older game project. Screenshot2
My older game project. Screenshot0

- Credits -

- Simple Online Highscore Engine by FlowArcade.com

Known bug: The game crashes if you click "online highscores" or "submit highscores".

Edit: typo

Last edited by DeoX on Sun 18 Apr 2010, 6:10 am; edited 3 times in total
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

My older game project. Empty Re: My older game project.

Post by Adam Shootyperson Wed 14 Apr 2010, 3:33 am

Looks like Runescape Very Happy
Looks cool, used to play it, but lost password (:

If I can play it tell me (:
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Wed 14 Apr 2010, 3:45 am

Adam Shootyperson wrote:Looks like Runescape Very Happy
Looks cool, used to play it, but lost password (:

If I can play it tell me (:
Thanks!

I tried to make it look like this: My older game project. Dungeoncrawlstonesouptilesport
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Wed 14 Apr 2010, 4:44 am

" A rat, it is friendly " Very Happy
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 14 Apr 2010, 6:34 am

Just saw the video, and read the general description. Did you make this video yourself DeoX? (Aka, is that you playing it, and are you that YouTube user?) At first I was quite surprised to see how easy the controls seems to be. You click on items to activate them, or use them, you've got (or at least seems to be) a decent auto-combat system that lets you fight battles pretty easily, and then the graphics are pretty decent including the fact you've got some sound effects and *I think* an ambient soundtrack/music going on in the background. That to me is a complete game, but that is just my opinion. ^.^

Really though, seems pretty interesting, I definitely will give it a try this weekend, or earlier if I can. (That download link I assume still works). Is interesting how you've also scripted the line of sight to properly extend down hallways if a player can see it. The sprites and graphics you used are interesting too. What size are each of the squares? 100x100 pixels? If so, there are some other games that use sprites that you might be interested in looking at, even just for inspiration. (You've heard of the Fire Emblem series for GBA correct?)

Nice stuff. =)

And to clarify once again; This entire game, Trapdoor Below, was made by you from scratch?
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Wed 14 Apr 2010, 7:12 am

Yup, I made it (and I can prove it. Razz ). I have different nicks on the internet.

The sprites are 16x16 pixels, and most of them I made by myself. I don't like to rip graphics from other games because it's wrong. The background music and sound effects are free to use so there are no copyright things haunting me. Very Happy Game Maker is very effective and easy program to make 2d games but It also supports code language and dll extensions.

I have played Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and it's really good game in my opinion. Here is my turn based strategy game which has taken influences from Fire Emblem but I freezed the project because It was poorly programmed (I learned new tricks while making an another project).

My older game project. Lod_kuva2

Here is a preview how I create these games:

My older game project. 35c1huh
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 14 Apr 2010, 12:05 pm

Wow! all those graphics are by you eh? Even the ones in that screenshot you just posted now? Man I'm quite impressed if you made all those sprites yourself. I tried to learn how to do some light spriting for Fire Emblem character graphics, I had a hard enough time as it is. xD

But DUDE! I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY A GAME LIKE THE ONE YOU POSTED! The one you didn't finish that is. xD It looks soooo good for a free game, I would definitely try it! Of course, it'd be pretty cool if you had it so people could make maps/campaigns/storylines on their own. (Map Editor, etc). That is one thing about the Fire Emblem games I regret -- there is no way to make your own custom maps easily.

However it seems gamemaker is pretty good at doing stuff. If I have a set of map tiles like so: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/CrystaJenn/FEF/RPG/RPG2/Maps/maptiles.jpg (Found it on another site, PM me if you want to know), can I import it somehow into gamemaker and make maps more easily?

xD That would be so cool. =)
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Fri 16 Apr 2010, 3:33 am

I used this:

http://charas-project.net/charas2/index.php

to create characters for that game. Tree sprite and tile set ripped but I made the road and gui by myself. I'm poor at creating pixel graphics bigger than 16x16 pixels.

Here is the download link:
http://www.edu.lahti.fi/~jetola/the_lands_of_desolation_v0.21b.zip

Controls:

Arrow keys: move everything
C-letter: select/accept
X-letter: unselect/back
Z-letter: change current skill
Enter: end turn
Esc: pause

Healers are bugged and can't use healing spells but a hero called Graven can use "Never Surrender!" skill to heal allies.

TNaismith wrote:
However it seems gamemaker is pretty good at doing stuff. If I have a set of map tiles like so: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/CrystaJenn/FEF/RPG/RPG2/Maps/maptiles.jpg (Found it on another site, PM me if you want to know), can I import it somehow into gamemaker and make maps more easily?

xD That would be so cool. =)

Those are from Fire Emblem: Scared Stones, and it requires a map making program (which is easy to make) to create maps for game maker games.
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down