Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. Davidicus Wong: Defining the real you through actions

2 posters

Go down

Dr. Davidicus Wong: Defining the real you through actions Empty Dr. Davidicus Wong: Defining the real you through actions

Post by TNaismith Mon 19 Apr 2010, 5:59 pm

My mom sends me weekly articles written by a man named Dr. Davidicus Wong. She found his articles on the internet and since then has forwarded them onto me and my sister every week. His articles talk about different life lessons, as well as sharing his experiences/thoughts on keeping a healthy life, making life meaningful, how to nurture positive relationships, some ways to deal with emotional problems, and how to overall appreciate life each day. I find his writings very inspiring, and they definitely are one of the things I use to remind myself what is important in life, and how to make it meaningful for myself, as well as others -- in a positive way. I share them with you in hopes maybe a few of you might also enjoy reading them. I'll do my best to post them each week, and I'll try to post older ones too if I can. All credits and ownership go to Dr. Davidicus Wong. I do not take any credits or ownership for what he has written, I am just sharing it. ^.^

Notes about this article: Yiiiiiiiipes! Sorry for posting two of these in such a short time, but I really want to keep things up-to-date with each new article that my mother passes on to me. This article is the latest one this week (sent on April 14th), and so even though I posted another one today, this one is to make sure I don't fall behind. ^.^ In this article by Dr. Davidicus Wong, he writes about how we show ourselves to the world, our friends, and our family. Now again, although his articles are centered mostly around family/parenting/life situations, I believe a lot of his writings can also be applied to gaming, in the sense of player communities. Near the middle of the article he goes on to talk about how parents need to lead by example in order to teach their kids good values, not just talking about it. The same can be said for our community here at TH -- we have values that aim to encourage a level of friendship, fairness, respect, maturity, understanding, and kindness. Although we can talk about being good people and a good community, it means nothing if we don't act on it and show we mean what we say. It is up to each and every one of us in this family to show to others that we don't just talk about being kind and respectful players in Savage, but we actually do our part to lead by example, and to let others realize gaming doesn't always have to be full of hot-headed guys just wanting to make their egos and pride feel good.

xD And now enough rambling from me! Let me present to you the main part of this post:

Defining the real you through actions

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 Dr. Davidicus Wong

"You are what you do, not what you say you're going to do." - Carl Gustav Jung
No one wants to be misjudged by appearances. We all seek to be known and understood by others.
Who is the real you?

We identify ourselves by our names and our nationalities, our religions and our family roles, our work (i.e. doctor, teacher, programmer) and our favourite pastimes (hockey player, runner, swimmer). Though we admit imperfection, almost everyone thinks that he or she is essentially good or at least right most of the time. At least, we intend to do the right thing.

But is the real you the person you think you are - that essentially good person, whose feelings are justified by your experiences and who always intends to do the right thing?

Or is the real you the person that others see - as they judge by your career choice, your habits, your lifestyle, your words and your actions, what you do and what you fail to do.

Parents have a huge responsibility. We are the first teachers and the most significant role models for our children. But our children don't learn from our lectures and stated values. Rather they attend to our everyday words and actions. We may demand that they be respectful, but if we treat one another disrespectfully, we appear as hypocrites. We may ask them to be honest with us, but if we cheat on our taxes and lie at the border, why would they listen to us?

Our actions speak louder than words. Yet, the tone of our everyday words may leave the greatest imprint of all - for good or ill. We expect our children to do their best at school and in adulthood, live a productive and meaningful life. But if the language in our homes is negative, abusive or demeaning, the legacy to our children will be a lifetime of negative self-talk that will haunt their future lives and relationships.

One of the greatest tragedies is that most of us will die not knowing how much we are loved. Human beings have an infinite capacity for love, but we hold back. We treat our love as a scarce resource because to love makes us feel vulnerable. Yet to be loved can give us strength. We all need to feel loved and to feel connected to one another.

I believe that most of us are a lot more loving than we let on. As the kids get older and as we accumulate anniversaries, most of us say "I love you" less often. I am always moved by teenaged children who can still tell their parents that they love them without waiting for a special occasion.
Reflect on this day. Consider your words and your actions. Are you behaving according to your deepest values?
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Dr. Davidicus Wong: Defining the real you through actions Empty Re: Dr. Davidicus Wong: Defining the real you through actions

Post by Adam Shootyperson Tue 20 Apr 2010, 2:00 am

I don't understand what he writes. It's too complex.
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down