Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banner/header request

+2
ScaV
Hunt3r
6 posters

Go down

Banner/header request Empty Banner/header request

Post by Hunt3r Sun 15 Aug 2010, 3:46 am

Hi graphic enthusiasts ^_^
Me and a friend of mine are running a small bussiness with cycling wear, and we decided to make a website were we and other people should put all our stuff, a well organised and structured way to sell and buy cycling equipment.But this requires hard work, money and time, and a really nice website.

What i need from you is a banner/header with the text "www.echipamente-ciclism.com" (the domain isnt yet taken, since we are in a alpha stage of the ideea), and a bike, rider or something related to cycling(if possible with renders). I'll be highly thankful.
Cheers ^_^

Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Banner/header request Empty Re: Banner/header request

Post by ScaV Sun 15 Aug 2010, 4:12 am

You don't lack ambition Hunt3r ! Surprised

I'm interested, if you need help, I'm here!
Your website should be simple and beautiful, and INNOVATIVE!
You need to advertise!
Remember that such a website already exists!

Anyway, GOOD LUCK !
ScaV
ScaV

http://jeuxastuces.forumactif.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Sun 15 Aug 2010, 5:07 am

Hey,

I'll make you a banner if you want Wink
Also, I can do some PHP-programming and some design/CSS as well (although I'm better with PHP). The graphically most advanced site (meaning I spent most time on that Wink) I made so far is www.walkontheotherside.com.

Well, I'll be thinking about a banner these days Wink Just say if you need some programming/building help!
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Sun 15 Aug 2010, 5:15 am

Yeah, i might ask for some support these days. I'm frankly new at this so i have to do it right. Thanks guys Very Happy
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Mon 16 Aug 2010, 8:57 am

Hunt3r wrote:What i need from you is a banner/header with the text "www.echipamente-ciclism.com" (the domain isnt yet taken, since we are in a alpha stage of the ideea), and a bike, rider or something related to cycling(if possible with renders)

Hey Hunt3r, could you provide any specific examples of images/colors you want to see in the graphic? Do you know what kind of color theme you want the website to have? (Black/white are common themes for simple, professional website. There are lots of other choices though). I'm sure it'd help anyone interested to have this kind of info. =)
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Mon 16 Aug 2010, 7:35 pm

Well, i dont know yet, it's a project that will develop in time, so it aint gonna be online tomorrow Very Happy
So when you guys have time you can post your free creations here. I will select, test, see what will suit better.
Btw, anyone have any experience with creating a website and hosting it? I'm interested more in the hosting part.
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Mon 16 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

Hunt3r wrote:Btw, anyone have any experience with creating a website and hosting it? I'm interested more in the hosting part.

I have made sure that (*counts*) about 6 domains were registered and hosted (some transfers as well).
So I have some experience Wink

Have been thinking about a banner the last couple of days. I'll start getting something on the screen today (which is always the hardest part, from my head to the screen Razz).
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Mon 16 Aug 2010, 9:41 pm

Okay, I made a monster (look at own risk).

http://walkontheotherside.com/huntbanner1.png

I liked the idea of messing up the 'c's and some spirals (for some reason Razz), but the whole thing didn't work out at all xD
But I thought I'd show u anyway Razz

Don't like the colours either... So I'll start over anytime soon Razz

EDIT: It's kinda laggy, I dunno what it is. Resolution is high, but not extreme, perhaps because it's PNG... Well, made it a link so just clicky Wink

Last edited by Morgoth of Udun on Mon 16 Aug 2010, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by DrkS Mon 16 Aug 2010, 9:46 pm

Can't read it Shocked
DrkS
DrkS

Back to top Go down

Post by ScaV Tue 17 Aug 2010, 12:38 am

Is written "echipament-ciclism" DrkS .
But DrkS right, it's too hard to read, it should remove the white letters!

Apart from this detail is beautiful! You did it yourself?
ScaV
ScaV

http://jeuxastuces.forumactif.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Tue 17 Aug 2010, 1:10 am

ScaV wrote:You did it yourself?

Doh Razz
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Tue 17 Aug 2010, 1:52 am

So, morgoth, let's say i buy the domain "blabla.com" for a year, but no hosting. Let's say i finished creating the website on my pc.
Can i upload it with ftp on "blabla.com" from my pc, and act like a server for testing purposes?
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Tue 17 Aug 2010, 2:34 am

No.

A domain is just a pretty thing:
There's are some huge databases somewhere, that send information to the other database. When you type blabla.com in your browser, you ask this database which server is connected to the domain. The database tells you what servers this domain links to and your comp tries to connect to this server. (so far the basic explanation, which is probably wrong but does make u understand Razz)
So if you register a domain, but no server to host it on, the domain is linked to nothing and... well... you have nothing but a dead redirect Wink Uploading to a 'domain' is impossible, because a domain is nothing but a link to a server (which looks pretty Razz).

What I should do in your case, is to just make a part of your computer act as a server. It will be only accessible by you (you can open it to the public btw, but then ppls could access your computer if they try hard enough and that's not what we want Wink). A localhost/local server.
http://www.lullabot.com/videos/install-local-web-server-ubuntu
This is possible for Windows as well, but you should visit php.net for that (or google it...)

Hope that helped Wink
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Tue 17 Aug 2010, 6:22 am

Well, i just want the server/website to be accesed by 2-3 people. I dont want it to be public free yet, i just want to test it online. Is that possible?
Thank you for your help, and i hope i wont piss you off with noob questions, but i feel that i understand better from someone instead of tutorials.
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Tue 17 Aug 2010, 6:56 am

Ehm... If you want that, I would host it normally and secure every page by a simple script that requires the user to be logged in and if that's not the case redirecting them to a login-page. Then those 2-3 people can just use the login to view the pages...

Ofc you could make an internal network with a server of your own/computer acting like a server, but then you have to live in the same house, or close and... well... that will just be a mess Razz Logging in would be easier.

You can tell searchengine-bots to not register the page, btw, so ppls cant find the site anyway Wink

And I don't mind the questions Wink Was nib at this stuff (still am for quite a big bit) about a year ago as well Razz

EDIT:

So you DO need hosting for this (forgot to conclude that ;P)
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Tue 17 Aug 2010, 7:08 am

Well, how much would it costs? Smile
And to see if i got it right. I upload the site to your server, and your server links to the domain i buy?
At the moment we have 0% progress, it's an ideea i had with a friend and we first want to get all the info we want to start working. Tomorrow i'll get DreamweaverCS5 ( i guess that should do the job just fine).
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Tue 17 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

Yes, that's correct.
The cheapest good-quality webhoster is fatcow (fatcow.com) it's about 55 dollars per year for unlimited everything, so that's quite okay Wink Server is located in US, so for us, Europeans, it's not that superfast.

On the Dreamweaver part:

I strongly advise not to go create your site with Dreamweaver (I mean with that: using the graphical, drag&drop, WYSIWYG shit that it has), instead coding it by hand would be a lot better. Why?
- You have understanding of what the site is all about, how it is made, so adjustments are easily made.
- You get MUCH MUCH MUCH cleaner code when you code by hand, which has some aesthetic value for the geeks among us (Razz), makes up for faster loadtimes and less bugs.

Ofc, you can't create the actual important things of your site with the visual interface.

If you didn't wanna use Dreamweaver for that at all, then DON'T BUY IT. It's just bullshit to buy such an expensive program to... well, what you're doing is... typing. You shouldn't be paying for typing, right? (as ubuntu-user I don't think you should pay for anything Razz)
There are PLENTY of other programs that detect functions just as well, which are supported and created by the community and are absolutely FREE.

If you download it from piratebay... have fun Razz

So learn css (if you don't know it already), (x)html and go create a layout Wink
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Tue 17 Aug 2010, 8:33 pm

Well since i live in Romania ( yeah, this country sucks alot, i'm not afraid to say that), i dont care about being a honest citizen and i can get anything i want.
So what software would you recommand? Doesnt matter if it's expensive or free, i care about the things that you can do with it, and it's complexity ( so easy to use that noobs like me can understand it Very Happy )
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Tue 17 Aug 2010, 8:59 pm

As I said, you don't need any special program Razz Notepad will work just fine...

Ofc it's usefull to get the layout of the code coloured a bit, so I always use gEdit or gPHPEdit (lots of PHP-functions in that last one), these are both for Linux. On windows I used to use PSPad or Notepad++.

I dunno if you fully understood me, but there IS no complexity, because it's just what you type. The program can just help you a bit with colouring tags and such, thus the program doesn't do all that much, you type the code and the program helps Wink
You can't do anything with it, except for typing! Very Happy
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Wed 18 Aug 2010, 7:16 am

Yesterday i had a cool idea for a flash file for your homepage! I collected some images and created this:

Say me what you think about it ^^
Crashday
Crashday

http://bitcrusher92.hostoi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgoth of Udun Wed 18 Aug 2010, 7:45 am

Is that savage-grass? Razz
Morgoth of Udun
Morgoth of Udun

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Wed 18 Aug 2010, 9:18 am

Yes, you recognized it? ^^
Crashday
Crashday

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 18 Aug 2010, 10:32 am

That is a awesomeness Crash. Clean the animation up and make the images blend into the banner more smoothly, and it'll look really, really awesomey!
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Hunt3r Wed 18 Aug 2010, 7:44 pm

Nice job Crashday, but I got some ideeas for that xD
If i'll give you an image for background can you use it?
And for the moving thing with text, i was thinking about a cycling shirt shaped picture with the text on it. The grass looks great with white font, but i want to make it more related to what im planning to do Razz
Thank you for your time! Cookies will arrive soon ^_^
Hunt3r
Hunt3r
Original Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Wed 18 Aug 2010, 8:49 pm

Ok. If you send me the images, then it's easy for me replacing the old images ^^
Crashday
Crashday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down