Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is savage XR?

+13
Tomilion
DeoX
Tushaar
STRESS
Adam Shootyperson
Stain
Daemon
bbog
Nero
Hunt3r
Corn King
Envy
Ulquiorra
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is savage XR? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is savage XR?

Post by Adam Shootyperson Fri 05 Mar 2010, 2:49 am

Just do :
/ref kick " and then press tab till you find the correct player "

For exaample : If you and I are in a server alone ( 2 people ) and you press /ref kick "tab"
it will do : ref kick adam, then if you press again it will do /ref kick stress
And so on.
So only press
/ref kick "tab"
HOWEVER, if there are 57 people in the server... xD
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:40 am

Adam Shootyperson wrote:Just do :
/ref kick " and then press tab till you find the correct player "

For exaample : If you and I are in a server alone ( 2 people ) and you press /ref kick "tab"
it will do : ref kick adam, then if you press again it will do /ref kick stress
And so on.
So only press
/ref kick "tab"
HOWEVER, if there are 57 people in the server... xD

Or then write the two first letters of name before tabbing. Same works with /spectate.
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomilion Fri 05 Mar 2010, 3:50 am

Works with message too and .. With everything Very Happy
Tomilion
Tomilion

Back to top Go down

Post by STRESS Fri 05 Mar 2010, 4:33 am

ok thx a lot!
STRESS
STRESS

Back to top Go down

Post by Aneurysm Wed 15 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

@Stress

for the record, typing listclients in console will show you the client numbers for players, also using the tab feature to auto complete in console is very handy as well.

@All SFE Supporters

The problem with poo pooing XR and only using SFE is that further improvements take longer. If no one is testing and reporting bugs and issues with XR then it makes it very difficult and slow to improve the product. Further more, having SFE/Rmod clients and servers further dilutes the validity of testing as you then get cross mod conflicts that send developers on wild goose chases.

MOST IMPORTANTLY HOWEVER IS THAT YOU ARE RATHER MISSING THE POINT

XR isn't just about some fancy new graphics and a couple of new icons. It is SIGNIFICANTLY improved code and scripting to allow both modders and mappers to really get involved and create some amazing new worlds/game styles/interfaces and so on.
Some of the things that are right now currently possible with XR are as follows

- Teleportals
- Weapon drops/pickups
- Item drops/pickups
- Complete physics control via triggers. Some quick examples would be "jump pads", "speed pads", "launch pads", "lower gravity" or "zero gravity" zones, "death pits" and so on.
- Effects triggers (to compliment the new triggers available to map makers, they can also put effects into their maps, examples could be "camp fires", "falling leaves", "steam", "fog", "snow", "rain", "lightning", "explosions" etc. These effects can be global or local, so for example, you could have a corner of the map with snow texture and snow falling only in that area.
- Dozens of new props such as Aztec pyramids, Arabian villages, new walls, fences, ladders, lauch pads, castle walls, fountains, bushes, trees and so on. Hell there is even an ice prop now, so you can go skating around on ice.
- New textures for map makers to create more lively and realistic maps than ever before.
- Physics props. These are props that are not anchored to a point, meaning that during the game, you can push them around, pick them up, even set some of them alight and run around burning people with them.
- The ability to create different game modes, such as capture the flag, king of the hill and all the other classic favourites of popular FPS.
- Much much greater flexibility for modders who wish to take the game into other directions, perfect example being the Savage Heroes mod that is currently being worked on by Daemon and Clemens. This mod will be a essentially a new game in its own right, something that never would have been possible with the game if it had remained in SFE state.

Now I can hear what you are thinking, "Yeah but I've never seen any of this stuff, it might be possible, but no one is doing anything with it"

This is the irony of the situation, there have been plenty of us chomping at the bit to show you what the new XR mod is capable of, however it requires everyone to get onto the same page. In order to access all these wonderful features, all clients and servers need to be running XR, with everyone denouncing XR and staying with SFE it makes it impossible to use the very features the mod was developed for. What a waste!

This attitude is a crying shame, because lets face it, the game is getting old and the community is getting smaller. Modernising the game graphically, and enriching the features is one of the few realistic ways in which to both capture new audiences and maintain current the current player base. This is something that should be alarmingly obvious to everyone, however it is a sad fact that a solid proportion of the community seems to be more concerned about a relatively small frame per second drop. Not even taking into account that in turn most people see a 10 -20 % fps drop as well (in my books far more important anyway). The fact is, the average human eye is only capable of viewing images at a maximum of 60 fps anyway, so anything above that is just your imagination playing tricks on you. Hell most video and movies are rendered at less than half that speed.

If you are at all cynical about the fact that the game/community is dying, then let me highlight my point by telling you that I am from Australia. 12 months ago, I was playing on local servers that during peak times would max out at 64 slots. Six months ago, it was half that number. Now the server sits completely dead for days on end, if more than 8 players joined the server any more than once a week I would be shocked, in short, the game is dead over in this part of the world. My friends over the water in Japan have suffered the same fate, with their numbers reflecting our own. As most of us in Australia get between 250- 300 pings to the USA and 300 - 450 pings to the EU, understandably the game is as good as dead to us.

I am not suggesting that by us all embracing XR suddenly we are going to have thousands of players flood into the game, what I am suggesting however, is that if you love the game savage and want to continue to play it, I would strongly recommend supporting any effort to further the game and increase its exposure in any way you are able. For you can bet your bottom dollar that if the game is left in the state it was in (SFE) then you will be lucky to see more than another years play out of it. Take it from me, it's no fun not being able to play savage any more, there just isn't anything else on the market like it.
Aneurysm
Aneurysm

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 15 Sep 2010, 7:12 pm

Let me be the first to reply that SFE does run faster than XR, as of September 14th 2010. No matter if I turn V-Snyc options off, turn off shaders, reduce the graphics settings to the lowest possible...the result is strong lag during whenever I come across melee combat -- which tends to be all the time in Savage: The Battle for Newerth.

Of course, there is also the fact my computer is very low quality.

While I cannot swing in melee and pwn newbies in combat while using Savage XR, I never could do the same thing in SFE either. Having a bad computer is one thing, playing from Canada is another. xD

Download Savage XR (Here), please. Wink

Yes, I do support Savage XR, and encourage all of you here at TH to download and use it. (Crashday that SFE mod you made is creative, but it does delay the work of Savage XR, unfortunately.) I've been talking with lots of the Savage modders over on IRC, specifically the #savagemods channel, and you'll be surprised how much passion, love, and effort they WANT to put into keeping the game fun, alive, and active. These people are working for all of us whom love Savage, whether you like the melee combat, commanding, planning strategies, tactics, you like chatting with other people, meeting new friends, talking on community forums, posting guides, making maps, playing fun forum games, making fan art...we got very dedicated people willing to improve this game, and they are FELLOW GAMERS LIKE YOU. They ain't paid by S2Games and they certainly aren't being given the Nobel Peace Prize for volunteering to help develop Savage XR.

In addition, I personally will be working on a small, just-for-fun project in the near future that will require Savage XR. So rest assured that Savage XR has a lot of new potential and features; there are things that will help us in clanwars, trainings, communication, events, and so on.

As Aneurysm mentioned, Savage XR might cause lower FPS temporarily, but they are working to fix it -- if people play Savage XR and help give feedback so improvements can be made. Is it possible to fix a mistake if you are never told?

Download Savage XR (Here).

Last edited by TNaismith on Thu 16 Sep 2010, 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Wed 15 Sep 2010, 11:09 pm

Have to agree with you, TN and Ane. Great posts! The whole squad system is senseless if there's someone who uses SFE, all the new, GREAT maps can't be played, it's impossible to see the stats of a player... (TN, I don't care about their 'stats', but if I know the account name of a flamer/bailer or a comm stealer, I can mute/kick/ban him easier)
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:27 am

If you don't want to use Savage XR but wanna have the same graphics then use Savage SFE and my mod. You will not have the stats view thing (perhaps i add this later, if possible) but you will have the irc thing and even have the rmod running in SFE which is included to my mod ^^. Download my mod and Savage SFE with the newest patchs here: https://thehunterz.forumotion.com/xr-section-f28/sfe-modification-t1199.htm
Crashday
Crashday

http://bitcrusher92.hostoi.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Thu 16 Sep 2010, 3:30 am

Well, to be honest, rMod sucks compared to RC3.
And like TN and Ane said, there are some things in XR which are hardcoded.
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Thu 16 Sep 2010, 7:49 am

Crashday, did you read these? Wink

(Crashday that SFE mod you made is creative, but it does delay the work of Savage XR, unfortunately.)

The problem with poo pooing XR and only using SFE is that further improvements take longer. If no one is testing and reporting bugs and issues with XR then it makes it very difficult and slow to improve the product. Further more, having SFE/Rmod clients and servers further dilutes the validity of testing as you then get cross mod conflicts that send developers on wild goose chases.
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Fri 17 Sep 2010, 8:05 am

No, i haven't until now. I'm not so much online lately cos school started again... Perhaps these ppl don't understand/didn't read why i created my mod. But i repeat it: I created this mod, cos i have problems with xr. Im using a win7 64-bit os and i can't play the game well. There are fps lags all 5 seconds and after some time the fps are about 20. That's unplayable. I also want to say that the demo function is also not working properly for me.
Im sure the problem is not my hardware or sth. My laptop has a 1gb ati graphic card, 4gb ram, a intel centrino processor and other good requirements. But i think it's sth about the 64-bit os. I possessed another pc with only 256mb nvidia graphic card, 1gb ram, and a intel pentium 4 processor with a win7 32-bit os. On this pc savage xr ran quite well. Perhaps savage xr has any problems with 64-bit os. But savage sfe not. Ok back to my mod ^^. All in all, the only cause why i created it is that i wanted to have the graphics from xr in savage sfe. I had a lot of work copying, editing, moving and testing the parts of savage xr and rmod in xr and so i decided to share my work with other ppl which perhaps have the same problems with savage xr. I hope you understand me...
Crashday
Crashday

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Fri 17 Sep 2010, 9:59 am

=( Try to read posts in a discussion before posting a reply Crashday, even if you don't have time to read. It is very hard discuss when everybody is just shouting their own opinions and not listening to what other people posted before them. Wink If you don't have time to read other posts in a topic, you can always wait until you have more time later. =)

People are trying to point out that no matter how bad Savage XR might be working for people -- making mods that encourage people to use SFE won't help fix problems with Savage XR.

Instead of making a mod that uses SFE...try to help in other ways to help FIX problems in XR. "Savage XR not working" is a not a pleasant reason to go make mods for SFE.

But please read other people's messages in a discussion before writing a reply. We encourage quality discussion here, so please listen + read what other people have to say before posting your own opinions or thoughts. (*Glares at Morgoth of Udun*)

=)
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Crashday Fri 17 Sep 2010, 11:57 pm

If my reply was not appropriate I apologize. I thought someone flames cos I'm making mods for savage sfe, but now I understand =) They wanna improve savage xr, that's all!
Crashday
Crashday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2