Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idea for map: Project together.

+3
Pauke
MarchRisker
Nero
7 posters

Go down

Idea for map: Project together. Empty Idea for map: Project together.

Post by Nero Tue 16 Mar 2010, 5:28 pm

Hey,

I was thinking
Maybe all of us could make a map together. With some beautiful sections, and am almost perfectly even. It just needs some ideas, and then we can start sending in some hieghmaps of our own, and put them together to form an epic one.

So Start shooting ideas!
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Idea for map: Project together. Empty Re: Idea for map: Project together.

Post by MarchRisker Tue 16 Mar 2010, 7:40 pm

I'll make a drawing this evening Smile

a nice tool for helping the first draw / sketch Very Happy
(also topic on newerth about it)
http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/
MarchRisker
MarchRisker

Back to top Go down

Post by MarchRisker Wed 17 Mar 2010, 1:46 am

put something together rly fast Smile

Idea for map: Project together. Thmapbeta

as you can see i based it on the letters TH ^^

upper left the beast, lower right humans
2 redstone mines extra in the other corners

room for tactics (as long as paths are not to narrow)
of course its just a sketch and not rly on the right scale, but gives an idea Razz
MarchRisker
MarchRisker

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauke Wed 17 Mar 2010, 2:45 am

I love the layout , i could and make objects as required Razz i really like your idea !
Pauke
Pauke

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed 17 Mar 2010, 5:28 am

I like the idea, but what i had in mind, was giving beast parts with lots of small hills and corridors, as they are in an advantage there, and humans a big open field or 2, because they are in an advantage there.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Wed 17 Mar 2010, 11:24 pm

Yeh, would be 100%/100% Very Happy
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu 18 Mar 2010, 1:28 am

So, heres what i scethed till now

Idea for map: Project together. 216

L = Beast lair
H = Human stronghold

The humans base is open, surrounded by rivers, that cant be crossed on foot, only across a few bridges, witch gives them the ability to shoot at attackers for some time, weakening them.
Beasts lair is surrounded by a few little hills, covering them from long range attacks. This is in there advantage as they can hide behind them, giving behes a bit more time.

There shouldn't be mutch steep hills that are part of the walking space, as this influences beast game play, and humans are therefore in an advantage. There should be a light curvature in the terrain, giving it a realistic feeling.

As you can see, there are 2 ovious sections, existing out of a lot of centerd hills (beast part) surrounded by a lot of open terrain (humans section). There should be 2 spearate themes, a desert like and a jungle. The beast section will be jungle, the human section will be desert.

The jungle should have a moss like texture pallet with a lot of water, waterfalls, rocks, trees, vegitation and npc's. I also think it might be cool to put a lot of bridges and climbable structures to give it a 3d dimension. This will make it easier for beast too sneak and attack from different directions (I was realy thinking of a huge network of bridges, arches, ladders, maybe even put npc in the trees...). I also think it is best that we don't put any buildings in the jungle, although a little village in the trees would be nice. In the center, there will be a little "base" were all bridges are accessible (altough the sistem should be reachable from other places too) and we have a few npc's placed together, and a redstone mine.

The deserth section should have a hilly theme (i was thinking like the dunes you would find in a real desert), with almost no vegetation (maybe some bushes, but nothing else), npc's and stuff. We should have a few oasises, with a lot of vegetation, and npc's. We need at least 2, one for the human base, a very large one, with 2 rs mines at the base. We could put large parts of the base a little under watter, not counting the deep rivers we should have as protection. The second will be at a NE Redstone mine with a few trees, covering a possible sield from one direction.

The place were they meet should be a fade system, were the vegetation shrinks, and we slowly see sand instead of moss and grass.

Both teams will also (but this is somethin that i'm not sure of, as each team will have easy aces to 3 rs mines) a rs mine close to base, but exploiting there weaknesses. The beasts will have one west of there base, on top of a dune. Humans will have one in the middle beast section, making the easy prey for behe rushes.

The beast lair should be a fallen city, with a lot of ruins, and fallen down trees, blocking human path even more.

It will be lot of work (almost all terainwork has to be done by hand, not with a hieghtmap), and the different themes require a lot of work making them look nice. Also will the little hills need to be occluded, with, as there should be a lot, will be a few hours work. The author shoulnd be Nero or any other person who worked on it, simply the TH map making team. Anyone who wants to help, just say so.
Hoping on lots of helping hands, as this will be a big, but when finished, a beautiful and rewarding map.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauke Thu 18 Mar 2010, 2:11 am

fu(biiip)ing nice layout but he'll be very hard to create Smile

I would help you to make objects and decorations , i really like the thema , i just wouldn't do the layout and the occluders Smile
Pauke
Pauke

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu 18 Mar 2010, 2:27 am

Ok, im fine with that, as long as i have some help with layout and ocluders im ok.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauke Thu 18 Mar 2010, 3:18 am

there is a really better render with XR objetcs for the desert (and the jungle) just look Smile .

Idea for map: Project together. Capturewbg

Idea for map: Project together. Capture1q
Pauke
Pauke

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Thu 18 Mar 2010, 5:07 am

@ Hint for Nero

I would suggest (if possible) you color-code some of the details you would like in that sketch you made, and then re-share it again so that your details in the post can be seen more clearly in the image. I think you've got a lot of great ideas and explanations, but it's quite hard to visualize all that (for me at least) just from looking at the colorless sketch. It may/may not help, but just a thought.

Love the idea of the entire map-making team working together though. I also advise that for group projects like this, you use a format where each person takes turns posting + uploading their work for the team. I've seen this kind of co-operative map making done before on another game+forum, and here is the link if your interested: Gandalf's and Deroman's Scenario

Best of luck, choose an idea/plan, and then stick with it. ^^
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Thu 18 Mar 2010, 5:45 am

@ Pauke

I like the XR objects, but i think its best to stik to SFE, as (i belive) XR objects dont work on normal servers (tehre all buggy)

@TN

Il try to send it tomorow or on friday

Wut why am i not hearing anything of other map-makers?
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy Thu 18 Mar 2010, 9:40 am

Maybe DeoX could make overhead so we know where everything is?
Also the name for the map could be something like
"TH'under"
or
we could just give it some cool name like
"DesertedJungle"
Idk. anyways, good idea
Envy
Envy
Clan Applications Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Fri 19 Mar 2010, 1:41 am

Desert/jungle sounds really cool! I like Nero's circle-maze-thing in the middle of the map.

I can try to make an overhead with simillar idea.

EDIT: Here is something what I doodled with twirl filter:

Idea for map: Project together. 2qapmh0
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Fri 19 Mar 2010, 3:03 am

Im goina try turning my scetch in an jpg file, with computer grafics and stuff, but dont expect it till saturday, maybe sunday.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed 24 Mar 2010, 2:00 am

Im later than i told i would be, but here she is:

Idea for map: Project together. A_th_m10

I think its pretty ovious what is what, and the grey thingys over the water are bnridges, and you cant cross those rivers, there to deap. What do ya think?
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by DeoX Wed 24 Mar 2010, 4:56 am

This map is going to be HUGE. The corridors are too narrow for a small map.
DeoX
DeoX

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed 24 Mar 2010, 7:18 am

well, i think it might just work on a 96*96 map. in the worst case we take 128*128 but i think we don't need to go any bigger.

Whos helpin me? Il try to get a basic terain by the weekend, and i need someone who can help with objects and with textures.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Wed 24 Mar 2010, 7:30 am

I can't make maps, sorry man Sad I'd really like to help Smile
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 24 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

That is an excellent coloring Nero. I can see much more clearly the different parts to the map. I don't know where the SH or Lair will be located, but nevertheless good work. =) That should be a good framework to get you guys started. ^^
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed 24 Mar 2010, 4:54 pm

nw = sh and se : lair
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 24 Mar 2010, 6:40 pm

Nero wrote:
The jungle should have a moss like texture pallet with a lot of water, waterfalls, rocks, trees, vegitation and npc's. I also think it might be cool to put a lot of bridges and climbable structures to give it a 3d dimension. This will make it easier for beast too sneak and attack from different directions (I was realy thinking of a huge network of bridges, arches, ladders, maybe even put npc in the trees...). I also think it is best that we don't put any buildings in the jungle, although a little village in the trees would be nice. In the center, there will be a little "base" were all bridges are accessible (altough the sistem should be reachable from other places too) and we have a few npc's placed together, and a redstone mine.

After looking at the colored map, then going back and reading this part, I think this will be an amazing jungle scenery if it can be pulled off. Some maps in Savage come really close to being detailed and 'environmental' feeling towards jungle themes and such. (I know there are quite a lot of different objects you can use to create a jungle feel, I've noticed quite a lot when I take nature screenshots throughout different maps). When you say jungle, I'm really imagining the entire middle section looking like a rainforest -- with bushes everywhere, trees totally covering the walls, lots of sounds of rivers + water flowing, and even monkits in the trees would help create an ambient atmosphere that suits the jungle feel. The sounds would also help cover up the noise of predators and even help a little bit for humans too (since both teams have footstep sounds anyways).

Would love to see maybe a trial run of this Pauke. Maybe re-create a small part of the middle map from Nero's design, and then decorate that small area with all the objects and decorations possible for a jungle/theme/setting. Would be great to see what can be done.
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Fri 26 Mar 2010, 3:38 am

Im curious too.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down