Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions?

+10
hlupaco
Rumo
Tushaar
Morgoth of Udun
TNaismith
Moon1ight
Corn King
NeverMind
Adam Shootyperson
Nero
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Questions? - Page 3 Empty Re: Questions?

Post by DieOrFail Fri 28 May 2010, 8:06 pm

Great! Thank you ENVY, I haven't thought about it in this way!
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Sat 29 May 2010, 3:56 am

ENVY wrote:Yes, why should one not be able to? Think, if an ant has to move across a line:

planet <---------------------------------------0------------------------> planet
The ant would have to move a certain distance. Light has to move this distance too, just it can do it faster. Now, if somehow we made the ant move a shorter distance then the light:

planet A <-----0---> planet B
Then and the ant arrives to planet B before the light, then we would call the ant "faster" then the light, because the light is taking the long way, where as the ant takes a shortcut.
You can also think of it this way. Lets say there is an ice-cream stand in the middle of a park:
And you start at the south of the park. But light is not aloud to travel on the grass, so it must go to the north side of the park, where a path is to get to the middle.. The light has to go all the away around to the path way to get to the ice cream stand because It can't travel on the grass. You can travel along the grass, so you would get there before the light because you took a shortcut. you would travel "faster" then light, and therefore you could also travel faster then time, theoretically. Get it?

You dont go faster than the speed of light, as you would have to change the spacetime. This woudl mean you have to build a stable bubble, in witch light still goes~300000 km/s.

Acording to einsteins theory of relativity, the mass increases as the speed increases. At the speed of light the mass of this object would be infinitive. therefore it would need an infinitive force tto acelerate it there. ansd as this is impossible, it is also impossibelto reach the speed of light.

You did get te point anvy; pretty nice reply Smile
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Sat 29 May 2010, 7:30 am

How can you prove that light moves aproximatly at 300.000 km/s ?
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rumo Sat 29 May 2010, 10:37 pm

But Envy, then you´re not faster than the light, are you? I mean, yeah, you don´t need as much time as the light, but the velocity isn´t faster ^.^ The light only has to take a longer distance, but is in its velocity faster than you.
Rumo
Rumo

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Sat 29 May 2010, 11:09 pm

Yes, but the only thing you have to do, if you want travel faster than light, is to find a shorter way Very Happy
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Sat 29 May 2010, 11:13 pm

That is not moving faster than light. Moving faster is moving at a speed + 30.000 km/s.

You can get to the ice-cream before the light, but that doesn't mean your faster.
It means your probably more inteligent and you can take shortcuts.
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy Sun 30 May 2010, 12:14 am

Exactly. I know we arent really traveling faster then light, but are main goal is accomplished. (to beat the light to getting ice cream.) You could also think of light as time, and then you would travel better then time, and you would get the icecream before it did. Who cares about traveling faster when you got the icecream before anyways.
Envy
Envy
Clan Applications Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Sun 30 May 2010, 5:15 am

Because light doesn't care about Ice creams =D
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rostner Sun 30 May 2010, 5:23 am

Agreed. Very Happy One thing I don't understand. How can light not go a certain way? Doesn't light go everywhere in all directions?
Rostner
Rostner

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Sun 30 May 2010, 6:34 am

Well, imagine there is a wall...^^
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Sun 30 May 2010, 10:37 am

How can you get the ice cream of there's a wall ? xD
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rostner Sun 30 May 2010, 11:23 am

Yeah, but there isn't a wall in space... and besides. even if there was a wall and light had to go around, it's not like a physical object can go through the wall; it would have to go around too.

Last edited by Rostner on Sun 30 May 2010, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rostner
Rostner

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Sun 30 May 2010, 9:35 pm

You win! I sucks at Science!

Have no answer. Razz
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy Mon 31 May 2010, 12:40 am

keep in mind this is all theoretical.
Envy
Envy
Clan Applications Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Shootyperson Tue 01 Jun 2010, 2:23 am

ITS ALL REAL
Adam Shootyperson
Adam Shootyperson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rostner Tue 01 Jun 2010, 3:11 am

I agree. xD
Rostner
Rostner

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Tue 01 Jun 2010, 3:13 am

What is reality? What is real, what not? I think you can't say something is real...
It is real for you! xD
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Tue 01 Jun 2010, 4:37 pm

I believe reality is a experimantaly proven something. And it must be either energy or have a mass.

And you can walk true walls. If you excist out of neutrinos, yould be abl to go true a wall of lead one lightyear long, and still be 99.9% hole on he other side.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 02 Jun 2010, 2:53 am

Question: I've read in books and heard from people that nuclear war is still a very possible thing to happen to humanity in this time period. But don't we have much more technology now that can cure nuclear war effects or to prevent it from happening?

Also, in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, part of the story is that a nuke missile is fired at the USA during the invasion by Russia. But then it explodes in the air, causing a electronic-kind of storm that shuts down all electricity. What really happens if a nuke explodes in the atmosphere, instead of hitting the ground? Does the effects of nuclear radiation get canceled out, or do we still have to worry about it causing millions of deaths and possibly the extinction of humanity? (If nuke missiles can be exploded in the air without nuclear effects, then all we need to do is shoot the missiles out of the sky to prevent any nuclear aftermath where humans are all dead right?)

Thanks. =)
TNaismith
TNaismith
Head Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DieOrFail Wed 02 Jun 2010, 2:58 am

I've heard about this effect in an old James Bond film, I think it was "Golden Eye"
And there was a project, called S.D.I., but it failed.
DieOrFail
DieOrFail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:42 am

well TN, most nuclear missiles are ment to detonate in close proximity to earth. (the ones that hit japan detonate approx 1km in the air). However, when only the EMP is wanted, they are detonated in high orbit (400 Km in space). In the first case, the biggest damage is caused by the blast and radiation, but in the second case this is largely absorbed by the atmosphere

About the electricity: Its called a EMP (electro-magnetic pulse). To explain the workings (this is the basics):

Every electric current creates a magnetic field. This is a very small one, but its there (the reason why when you place a compass in the area of a very big current, it will turn towards it). The field created can be calculated with:

H=I/2.pi.r

With:
H=Fieldstrengh (dont know correct english word) in Ampere/meter
I=Current in Ampere
r= radius (the distance between the cable and the place you measure the field) in M

The same the other way round. If you put a cable in a rapidly altering magnetic field, a current will start flowing (generators work on this principal). The current created can be calculated with this formula:

Now, a Nuclear EMP can create verry verry high Magnetic fields. These strecht thousands of miles far. The Curent that this field creates with by induction is very high. If you know he resistance of a cable, you can calculate the current with:

I=U/R
With
U= The voltage (Volts)
R= The resistance (Ohm)
I= The current (A)

The current created can be so hight, hat elements warm up. Then they burn out, and brake. Fuses melt, cabels get ripped out of walls, Streetlights burst 1500 km from the blast. The effects are probly more devastating than the bomb ittself. no gas, no water, no light, no comunication ...

And shooting a missilie traveeling at mach 12 at an altitude of 450 Km takes more than your avrage glock TN. its not so easy, as the missiles travel so fast (they are around the world in 1.5 hours) that by the time you found them, fired a missile that and the missile has acelerated to intercept speeed, its too late. And if you blow a Nuclear bomb with C4, there wont be a nuclear explosion. Il explain that some other time.
Nero
Nero

Back to top Go down

Post by TNaismith Wed 02 Jun 2010, 7:04 am

Ah, I see. So the effects that the video-game shows in the game at this cutscene is pretty accurate if a real nuke exploded high above the atmosphere? (If you notice, one of the guys yells! "EMP!!!" later on in the video, after the nuke has exploded). After you see the nuke explode, skip to 5:00 in the video. The soldiers describe the effects of the EMP Nuke. The 2nd video is just a higher-quality cutscene video. The 1st video actually has the gameplay where the soldiers talk to each other and describe the effects of the nuke exploding.